Top 10 Most Underrated Led Zeppelin Songs

So, I recently read a book called When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin (actually, I listened to it because I'm low key addicted to audio books). I have a lot of thoughts about the book (basically it made me appreciate the music more but think less of the band members as people), and maybe I'll write a whole blog post about rock biographies later, but the net result was that it inspire me to go back and listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin music that I haven't listened to in a long time. My dad really likes Led Zeppelin, so I was exposed to their music at a very young age, but I didn't really get interested in it or appreciate it until I was a teenager. Even though I haven't been listening to their music regularly for a few years, I still really enjoy it whenever I hear it, and I would say that they're one of my favorite bands in so much that I love the vast majority of their music.

About three years ago, I wrote a blog called Top 10 Most Underrated Beatles Songs, and it was actually quite popular, so I thought I would do a Led Zeppelin edition (as you can tell by the title of this blog). I got pretty deep into their catalog while I was in high school, so I feel like I definitely have my favorites and I'm familiar enough with their catalog to write this sort of blog (in case you were wondering about my qualifications).

These days, I feel like most people just remember Led Zeppelin for Stairway to Heaven or Immigrant Song, and that really frustrates me because their music is so much more than that. They have a fantastic and diverse catalog, and I really want to draw some attention to that. This was a VERY difficult list to compile, and I'm still not sure that I'm completely happy with my picks. In reality, almost every Led Zeppelin song is fantastic, and they could all be on this list.

Anyway, without further ado, here are -- in no particular order -- my top 10 most underrated Led Zeppelin songs:

1) That's the Way (from Led Zeppelin III) - I think this may be my favorite Led Zeppelin song ever. Period. End of sentence. I remember being fifteen or so and listening to it for the first time and being almost brought to tears. I mean, it really meant something to me. It has a mournful, yet gentle, sound; it's just a very interesting vibe. The lyrics are really beautiful as well; for example, "And yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers/ But all that lives is born to die/ And so I say to you that nothing really matters/ And all you do is stand and cry." I mean, how can you not tear up listening to that? I believe Jimmy Page and Robert Plant wrote this song while they were staying in Wales. It's certainly profoundly beautiful.


2) Tangerine (from Led Zeppelin III)  - In general, I think the entirety of Zep III is underrated. I've heard that it has the lowest sales of all their albums, and I don't know why. Certainly the sound is very different from the first two albums, but it's honestly fantastic. Go and listen to it! Anyway, I can say a lot of the same things I said about "That's the Way" about "Tangerine." It's a mournful song, certainly, but it's also a really beautiful love song. Seriously, "Tangerine, Tangerine, living reflection from a dream/ I was her love, she was my queen, and now a thousand years between." Beautiful. It also has this false start, which I think is really brilliant. I think it's experiencing a resurgence in popularity currently, but it's certainly not the first thing most people think of when you mention Led Zeppelin.


3) Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) (from Led Zeppelin II) - Apparently, none of the band members actually liked this song and it's just on their second album as a filler. I believe that this is the only song that they never played live. Still, I actually think it's very catchy and fun to listen to. There's something about this song that grabs you.


4) Thank You (from Led Zeppelin II) - If you're not interested in sentimental songs, you can skip past this one. Robert Plant wrote this song for his wife, Maureen, and the lyrics are definitely very romantic. For example, "If the sun refused to shine,/ I would still be loving you,/ When mountains crumble to the sea,/ There will still be you and me." Not to mention that the organ part has a really interesting and transcendent sound. I think a lot of people scoff at this song because it is so emotional, but, honestly, this song always puts a smile on my face.



5) Achilles Last Stand (from Presence) - I think this song never became super popular (although I'm sure all 'real' Led Zeppelin fans certainly know it) because of its length. The album version is ten minutes long. If you're used to listening to more modern, four minute songs, that's quite a commitment. It's well worth it though. The first time I heard this song, I was just completely blown away. I thought it was brilliant; I remember saying to myself, "well I've never heard anything like that before." I still think it's brilliant and, to put it simply, EPIC. 


6) Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (from Led Zeppelin I) - It's hard to imagine how any recording of any song could be better than this. I really can't think of anything to criticize about this song (except for maybe the plagiarism). This song just has a great sound. I don't know a lot about music, so sometimes I find it difficult to describe what I like/don't like about a song in a technical way, but I can say that this song has this great soulful sound. I simply can't describe it any other way. I don't know if this song really belongs on this list because it is fairly popular and well known. However, the fact that it isn't as well known as "Stairway to Heaven" is a crime. 



7) Misty Mountain Hop (from Led Zeppelin IV) - The first point that this song has in its favor is the Lord of the Rings reference (if you don't know about the Misty Mountains, please, please, please google it). I am HERE for any song with a LOTR reference (it really kills me that "Ramble On" isn't on this list, but it's just too popular! Also, honorable mention to "The Battle of Evermore." I am HERE for that song). The second thing this song has going for it is that it's a great song. It has a super unique sound, I love the electric piano, and who doesn't want to go to "the Misty Mountains/ Where the spirits go now/ Over the hills where the spirits fly"?


8) Since I've Been Loving You (from Led Zeppelin III) - The guitar solo on this song is so inspired. I can't even. It's just so good. I also love the bluesy sound of this song. It's just such an overwhelmingly good song, I don't even really know what to say about it. Go and listen to it, it speaks for itself.


9) Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (from Led Zeppelin III) - The first time I heard this song, I was like "I don't know if I'm about this life." Then I listened to it a few more times, and I was like, "I'm totally about this life." I think this sound is kind of an acquired taste, but once you acquire it, it's really great. In all honesty, the third album is the unsung hero of their catalog. Personally, I like that this an acoustic song, and I think it has a really energetic, upbeat sound. Plus, the castanets are a nice touch.


10) Hey, Hey What Can I Do - Apparently, this is the only non-album track that Led Zeppelin ever released, which might be why it's not super well known. As I recall, I stumbled upon this song kind of by accident (maybe on Pandora?), but the second it started, I was like "oh yes, this is what I came here for." I love the acoustic ending, and I love the way Plant phrases the lyrics (especially the "love" at the end of the first verse; go listen to it, you'll hear what I mean). This song is just so well put together; as with everything Led Zeppelin recorded, you can feel the skill and talent rolling off of it. It's just fantastic.


Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)