The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

Those Eyebrows Though
As you know, I have strong opinions about eyebrows. I also have strong opinons about Game of Thrones. Usually, those two things do not intersect, but today they do. Let's not dance around the issue here: Daenerys Targaryen has weird eyebrows.

(If you don't watch Game of Thrones, this probably is total nonsense to you. In case you're interested, Daenerys Targaryen is one of the show's main characters. She is descended from a royal line that originated in Valyria. In the A Song of Ice and Fire books, Valyrians have very distinctive physical features: white hair and purple eyes. In the show, Daenerys (aka Dany) has white hair (a wig) but her eyebrows are dark brown -- mostly because the actress' natural hair is dark brown.)

Anyway, if you watch Game of Thrones at all you know that Dany looks great in almost every episode and she's completely gorgeous and beautiful. However, the weirdness of her eyebrows is unavoidable. I know it, you know it, and I'm pretty sure that the showrunners know it too.

Now, I say that Daenerys has weird eyebrows because Emilia Clarke has rather lovely eyebrows. The only problem is that Emilia Clarke's eyebrows do not match Daenerys Targaryen's hair. I'm not sure if the makeup and hair people on Game of Thrones are aware of this or not, but eyebrow color tends to match hair color because eyebrows are -- *wait for it* -- hair! Therefore, If Daenerys has white hair, she should have white eyebrows too. *Shocker*! The fact that she doesn't have white eyebrows makes her look really disjointed and not in character.

A Fan's Idea of what Dany Should Look Like
Now, obviously, part of the problem is that her hair is a wig. I'm aware of the fact that there aren't wigs for eyebrows (but wouldn't it be fun if there were?), but there are other ways that the makeup and hair people could color correct her eyebrows. The most obvious solution would be to dye her eyebrows. I can understand why that might be a problem for Emilia Clarke because, as I just got finished saying, it looks weird when eyebrows and hair don't match. And, if she bleached her eyebrows, they certainly would not match her natural hair. Personally, I think that, as an actor, you should be willing to make some small sacrifices for your character and temporarily dying your eyebrows seems pretty inconsequential (except for the fact that I'm writing an entire blog about why it is consequential). In Emilia Clarke/Daenerys Targaryen's case though, I think it makes sense. Game of Thrones fans are so obsessed with details that I'm actually surprised that there isn't already a change.org petition for this or something. Plus, the showrunners don't allow Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) to cut his hair, so they should have no problem regulating Emilia Clarke's eyebrows. Seriously, the worst thing that could happen would be that Emilia Clarke would have funny looking eyebrows for a while and then she would dye them back to their normal color.

Emilia Clarke must have a better agent than Kit Harrington though because there doesn't seem to be a hair clause in her contract. All right, that's cool, Emilia Clarke doesn't have to dye her eyebrows. I'm sure there are plenty of hair chalks and cosmetics that could easily be utilized to lighten her eyebrows. Or, even better, they could just change the color of her eyebrows in post-production. I mean, if they can create CGI dragons and superimpose scars and scales on people's faces, they should be able to alter the color of Emilia Clarke's eyebrows. I understand that that would take a lot of extra effort, but it would be a small portion of the overall amount of money and time that they must spend on CGI and special effects.

However, I'm not convinced that they couldn't just use some sort of brow powder or makeup to change the color of her eyebrows. They don't even have to be white -- actually, I'd rather they weren't white. A nice grayish/silvery color would be nice. I understand that sometimes characters can't look the way they're described in books and I'm okay with that. For example, in the books, Dany has purple eyes, which would be totally unrealistic for TV Dany. All I'm asking for here is a sense of visual continuity and an attempt at making her wig-like hair look natural without making her eyebrows look ridiculous -- which is a real concern. I know a couple of people with naturally light colored eyebrows and I've observed that when your eyebrows are too light it looks like you don't have eyebrows. If you look like you don't have eyebrows, you have a permanent expression of surprise. I don't know if that would be a good look for Dany -- it's not really the appearance of a confident leader.

Although, in all fairness, a lot of surprising things have happened to her -- like the dragons; who could have seen that coming?

Just sayin' 

Comments

  1. Amen to this!
    This is such a late comment but I was just thinking about how frustrated I am with her eyebrows, googled it, and came across post. Thank you for being the one to say it. I, too, don't understand how fans of the show aren't in an uproar. I'd have grabbed my pitchfork already if I thought anyone else cared. It really cannot be that hard to use some kind of powder on her eyebrows.

    Anything even slightly lighter would be a massive improvement. Even in season 1 they were slightly lighter than they are now, so they must have been doing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! It's really very distracting.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there. I found your article very refreshing and funny to read. I bet a lot of people have been wondering this, but not really discussed it by now. I actually think her eyebrows are the way they are for several reasons. I made up some theories.

    I think for a big part they did it to make her character more popular and modern-time adapted. Bushy, or lets say full, not plucked, all natural eyebrows are trending since Cara Delevingne (new victoria secret model and karl lagerfeld muse) was booked for almost every catwalk.

    Also, the fact that her eyebrows aren't plucked, could also emphasise her role: Daenerys being viewed as the first Khaleesi without a Khal, the commander over eigh-thousand unsullied and ruling queen of three cities she is definetely a very powerful woman. Plus, I feel like her eyebrows are getting darker since the first season? Maybe they did it kind of to emphasize that she as a woman, embraces her natural appearance. Like woman who don't wear bras or shave their legs, to rebel against societys view of a woman. Only that she just doesen't plucks her eyebrows and instead they darken even more.

    And last but not least; I don't know my source anymore, but somewhere I read that George R.R. Martin said, he feels like the ultra-blond eyebrows that she would have if her eyebrows matched her haircolour would simply look "creepy". :D

    (Btw, I think you found a market gap here by mentioning the eyebrow wigs.)

    Greetings, and regards. Lexy
    http://ohlovelytragedy.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled her eyebrows because they are disturbing and have gotten very noticeably darker. Now I know I'm not just seeing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should've started the petition to change her eyebrows color. It would be amusing. But I would hoped that her eyebrow means that she's half Stark (R+L=D) but it's very unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Her dark eyebrows got even more annoying when D&D included that "white pussy hair" line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm of the same opinion.. But if the actress won't dye her eyebrows, why didn't they digitally colored her eyebrows?.. :s

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a natural blonde with naturally brown eyebrows. It does happen. Still, my hair is more of a golden blonde than a white blonde, and my eyebrows are a very light brown. Her hair is super light, and her eyebrows are very dark! It's so distracting that I can't even take the character seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well..please look this link, i hope you find your answer why Dany's eyebrow better like this, not like her hair.. http://9gag.com/gag/a9LX9q1?ref=android

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well..please look this link, i hope you find your answer why Dany's eyebrow better like this, not like her hair.. http://9gag.com/gag/a9LX9q1?ref=android

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think her eyebrows are amazing (also see https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahburton/times-danys-eyebrows-said-everything-you-needed-to-know). There are actually many people who like them and don't find them weird at all. As one poster stated, dark eyebrows with light hair does naturally happen. This can be similarly seen with men who have beards that are darker than the hair on their heads or even their moustaches. And many of us have seen beards that are gray while the hair on the man's head hasn't gotten to that stage yet. Also, for some blond women with light eyebrows, the eyebrows look weird because it looks like they don't have eyebrows, which is why some blond women darken their eyebrows. Daenerys Targaryen's eyebrows were lighter in season 1 (the picture you have above shows that), and I think that's a natural color to go along with the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also see http://9gag.com/gag/a9LX9q1/an-answer-to-the-guy-who-doesn-t-like-daenerys-targaryen-s-eyebrows. And check out the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good read. It's obvious to everyone that sadly they can't lighten her eyebrows now with only two seasons left.
    Thanks to all.
    john

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been lightening my eyebrows for years. You just use facial hair bleach, like what women use to dye upper lip hair. No big deal. It doesn't take dark eyebrows to bleach blonde if you keep it on for less than 8 minutes. Smh, her brows drive me crazy! Why don't the make-up artists know this simple trick?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The carpet doesn't match the drapes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are fake eyebrows of natural hair... And if the actress bleach her eyebrows she would easily turn them dark brown with a brush of brown lash mascara. There is no point to those dark brows the character has.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Tamzin Merchant looked better

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally agreed! The eyes I think they could have easily fitted her with contacts... Look at the k-pop stars who have non-brown eyes, they just stick a pair of colored contacts in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently, You Can't Spray Paint Furniture: The Story of My Bookshelf

What Happened to Ernest?

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)