A Desire of Suitors: Who Will Marry Mary (Some Thoughts on Season 4 of Downton Abbey)

After the massacre that was season three of Downton Abbey, season four was refreshingly cheerful. I'll admit that after Sybil and Matthew, two of my favorite characters, died, I was concerned that the show would fall apart. But, I have to say it's nice to see that season four has returned to some of the great Downton traditions: Edith's guy problems, Thomas schemes, and Mary's never ending parade of suitors. Downton has the unique gift of turning a show that is completely uneventful into something absolutley riveting.

Downton Abbey is back to doing it Pride and Prejudice style. I mean, It just isn't the same show if Mary doesn't get proposed to at least once a season.

That's not to say I wasn't upset about what happened to Matthew. But, on TV you can't linger on grief too much. The actor left the show, but the series must go on. Fortunately, Downton has a strong ensemble cast, so the lose of one character doesn't ruin the show. I'll admit that, without Sybil, Bransson's story has gone a little flat for me, but, fortunately, the same is not true for Mary.


I know that everyone is into Charles Blake right now, but something about him seems wrong. First off, he went from despising Mary to being in love with her in the course of one, pig filled evening. Seriously! He doesn't even know her! Gillingham and Mary, on the other hand, have known each other for their entire lives. Did everyone else miss that cute little story about eating ice cream together as kids?Personally, I'm glad to see Mary back to her own self, shooting down every guy who comes to stay at Downton. I'm very much looking forward to seeing who she will settle on in season five. Personally, I'm team Gillingham (although I wouldn't mind if Mary gave Evelyn Napier another try either).

He's So Tan!


If you ask me, Charles Blake is the Peter Pettigrew of the Downton world. I don't know what he's up to yet, but he isn't the cute, harmless, little rat that he seems to be. Even if his intentions are good, he's a little too much like Richard Carlisle; he doesn't get the aristocratic life that's so important to Mary. Lady Sibyl might have been able to marry him, but Mary can't. Gillingham, however, cares about keeping Downton, and estates like it, just as much as Mary does. And, of course, he has a title. That's not the most important thing in the Downton world anymore, but it doesn't hurt.

Besides that, he is completely in love with Mary: She says jump, he says how high? That might get old after a while, but right now, it's just romantic. Consider that he broke off his engagement for her. That's some true devotion right there. And, they had one of the best kisses on the show. Based on that alone, I'd say he's being set up to be a major love interest for Mary. Blake and Mary really don't have any romantic moments. Gillingham, however, has some of the best lines in the show too: "you fill my brain, I see you when I close my eyes". That, ladies and gentlemen, is how to do it Jane Austen style.   

Not to mention, he's definitely the tannest person ever to get within 100 miles of the show.

Of course, Blake isn't out of the running just yet. Lady Mary has a history of going for unconventional suitors. Let's not forget the Napier/Pamuk debacle. Speaking of which, Napier isn't out of this quite yet either. I don't think he'll try proposing to Mary while she's so obviously being torn between Gillingham, Blake, and Matthew's memory, but I think he still loves her. It would be quite the twist if Mary married him after three seasons of patience on his part. But, as they really only had one scene together this season, it doesn't seem likely. Maybe he can give it a try with Edith or Rose instead. Poor Edith, she desperately needs a love story with a happy ending on the horizon.

But, I think it's safe to assume that Napier is out of the running with Mary. I predict that Mary is going to end up with either Gillingham or Blake. Although, she's certainly not marrying anybody without at least another season of deliberation; let's not forget, it took her two seasons to marry Matthew.

Who will Mary marry? Only Laura Linney knows.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)