What's the Point of a Live Action Lion King?

Okay, so I feel like something needs to be said about this topic. Yesterday, I happened to be at my local movie theatre, and the line of people trying to buy tickets to the live action version of the Lion King was around the block. Now, I like the Lion King as much as the next millennial, but I have a problem with this because there is literally no reason to make a "live action" Lion King.

I mean, come on, I can't be the only person who thinks this.

Like, what is the point of doing a live action version if they're not going to use real lions? (Not that I want them to use real lions; can you imagine how disastrous that would be?) All I'm saying is, if they're going to CGI the lions, why not stick with the original version of the movie?

CGI is a form of animation. So, they're really just re-animating and animated movie. Again, I ask you, what's the point of that? (I mean, aside from money, of course. We all know that the real reason they're remaking all these movies is so that they can re-promote all these classic franchises and make billions. But I digress.) I think the animators were so busy thinking about whether or not they could make this movie, they didn't consider whether or not they should.

They didn't even try to do something different with the story! Based on what I've heard and the promos I've seen, it's just a shot by shot reproduction of the original movie. Why is that interesting? It's just the same old Simba, only you made him look like a real lion. I've got news for you disney: no one wants to see Simba look like a real lion because real lions don't emote! They could be thinking about eating you and you would never know (well, you might know when they bite down)!

My cat has the same problem; she has an expression of perpetual ennui.

Anyway, the point is that Disney should learn to let well enough alone. They already made a bajillion dollars off the Lion King. They don't need a bajillion more.

All I'm saying is that, if I wanted footage of lions gamboling around doing lion things with voice over, I can watch Animal Planet. They did a great job with Meerkat Manor.

Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)