I Had a Freak Out

Okay, so, I've come to the conclusion that no one cares about this as much as I do; but this still blew my mind and I feel it is my civic duty as a denizen of the internet to tell you about it:

So, you know how when you're a little kid and see/hear something and it just stays lodged in some dark corner of your brain  and then years and years later, you see or hear the same thing and you're all like "that was the thing from thing from the time! I finally understand the world!" Well, that happened to me today. I don't know how many of you watch The Borgias (probably not many because it's a massively underrated show), but, anyway, it's a show on HBO about the family of Pope Alexander VI, who presided over a rather dubious papacy during the renaissance (the Borgias have been called the original crime family). Long story short, it makes for good television.

Anyway, I've been watching this show for two seasons, which equates to about twenty episodes, and, from the first episode I've just felt this weird affinity with the actor (Jeremy Irons) who plays Pope Alexander. I just felt like I knew him from some other show or movie; he was just so, so familiar. So, naturally, like anyone does when they have a question about anything, I went to Wikipedia and looked at the list of the movies he had been in; I recognized one, so, I thought, well, that must be it and I went back to watching the show.

But it wasn't it!

For two seasons I went through every episode with this weird, niggling feeling in my brain like "I know him, I know him, where have I seen him before?" and I was all like "shut up brain and watch the show!" Well, tonight I figured it out. Tonight, everything makes sense. My friends, there truly is order and justice and reason in the world.

HE WAS SCAR IN THE LION KING!

This was actually earth shattering to me. I had this massive freak out about how Scar and the Pope are the same person; I think I really scared my roommate. Somehow, at some time during one of the nine million times I watched The Lion King as a child, Scar's voice became permanently lodged in my subconscious and made watching shows on HBO very uncomfortable. Like, just listen to these video clips; I don't know how I missed it, he has such a distinctive voice! Anyway, this experience has taught me a lot about the subconscious and the nature of memory, but I'm to tired to expound on such things right now so I'm just going to leave it at that.

The brain is a strange place. Or, as John Mayer would say, your brain is a wonderland.

Just sayin'

Comments

  1. The whole time I was wondering when you were going to reference John Mayer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)