My Fish is in Time Out

If you read my last blog about my fish, you know that my fish tank is going through a bacterial swim bladder disease epidemic, which, surprisingly, is much less fun than it sounds.

Anyway, in the middle of this whole thing I left for a couple of days to visit family and I left my roommates in charge of the fish. While I was away, one of my fish died and my roommates didn't notice right away. Well, they didn't notice until they caught my Chinese Algae Eater EATING the dead fish.

There was some screaming that day.

Needless to say, my Chinese Algae Eater is now in time out. Which basically just means that he's in a tank by himself and I scold him whenever I walk past the tank. Now, a lot of you may think that this is too harsh. A lot of you may say "he's just a fish; he's just following his instincts." That's not true! My Chinese Algae Eater, whose name is Joaquin (but I call him Joaquo [pronounce wah-co]), is not really a fish; he's more like an aquatic person. I don't know what it is, but he just has a person-like face. I mean, he looks like a fish, but he has sympathetic eyes. He just has this expression like he's going to start talking at any minute. I imagine he would say things like "indubitably." People who say indubitably shouldn't be eating other people.

Before you say that I'm crazy, I'm not the only one who thinks so. One of my roommates likes to talk to him. Sometimes, I'll come into the living room and she's tapping on the glass, trying to get him to say hello to her.

Anyway, the point is that Joaquo knows better than to eat other fish. He's intelligent; you can see it in the way he flaps his gills. Plus, he's easily the biggest fish in the tank, which means that he should be setting an example for the other fish. And it's not like he didn't have other things to eat either. I give him algae pellets regularly and he eats the leftover fish food that falls to the bottom of the tank. He's not a plane crash survivor in the Andes. He's not starving!

What's worse, after he did that, he started giving the other fish funny looks. It was like he was looking at little tiny hamburgers. Then, he started chasing the other fish around the tank. I mean, he's a bottom feeder, so he's a lot slower than the other fish, but still!

The point is that Joaquo has a bad attitude. So now, he's alone in the tank and he's thinking about what he's done. How else is he going to learn?

Just sayin'

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)