It's Tough to be a Fish Parent

Overall, I have a fair amount of confidence in myself as a grown up. I mean, I pay taxes and stuff; sometimes I even clean and cook things without a microwave. But one thing that I struggle with as an adult is being a parent. A fish parent.

In case you are unfamiliar with my blog (although my URL is literally I have a fish tank, so I think it's pretty clear), I have a fish tank full of guppies that I'm very proud of. I blog a lot about my fish -- but one thing I don't think I've talked about a lot is how difficult it is to be a fish parent. Once fish are grown up, basically all you have to do is feed them. But raising fish from fry (that's a fancy word for baby fish #smart) to grown up fish is pretty difficult.

First of all, you have to buy special food for baby fish because their mouths are too small for the normal food. Then, you have to encourage them and talk to them about swimming and stuff like that. However, the biggest problem is that grown up fish like to eat the baby fish. Sometimes I'll look into my fish tank and I'll see two or three baby fish, then I'll come back a few hours later and there will be absolutely none. Now, It's not like I just leave them to be eaten. I usually try to catch them and move them to my quarantine tank, but they're little and fast, so that doesn't always work.

The quarantine tank is home to my Chinese algae eater, Rodrigo, who has been known to be aggressive. But, I figure that if Rodrigo eats them, at least it won't be cannibalism. Because cannibalism is bad.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)