Tiger King is the Craziest Thing I've Ever Seen

So, yesterday, one of my friends texted me, "Okay, if you want an absolutely DRAMATIC, all-consuming distraction, just watch Tiger King on Netflix. It is WILD."

Little did she know, I had just finished watching the new, true-crime documentary series a few hours before. My immediate response was "I know! It was the most insane thing I've ever seen."

I don't ordinarily write about TV shows on this blog, so perhaps I should take a minute to describe what Tiger King is. As I noted above, it's a new, true-crime documentary series from Netflix. It follows the exploits of a group of people who all own private zoos full of tigers. As you can imagine, all of these people are totally and completely, certifiably crazy.  Murder, mayhem, and madness ensues, spiced with a healthy dose of tigers, expired meat, cults, polygamy, arson, bullets, and explosives.

And, guys—let me make this very clear—I am not exaggerating. Tiger King is the craziest thing I have ever seen, and I have seen some crazy things. I mean, the music videos alone melted my brain with their weirdness (if you haven't seen the show, you won't get that reference; but, if you have seen the show, how insane was the video with the woman dressed like Carole??).

I mean, I think INSANE is the only word that can be used to describe Tiger King.

This show is totally and completely off-the-wall BONKERS.

Like, I half the time I couldn't believe I was watching real people talk about things that actually happened. I told my friend that I had to keep reminding myself that what I was watching was real life. It was just all so over the top!

I mean, if someone had made a fictional drama with the exact same plot, I would have said it was bad because it was totally unbelievable. It just goes to show that truth is stranger than fiction.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that you really should watch this show if you haven't already. I mean, this kind of quality content is the reason we all pay for our Netflix subscriptions (or, in my case, mooch it off of people who do pay for it). This is the perfect thing to watch during quarantine! It will take your mind off things for sure.

Now that I've said that, I want to give some of my THOUGHTS on what happened in the show. I'll warn you now, spoilers are coming!

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

First of all, I have to say that I do NOT like Carole. First of all, I think he's a hypocrite for profiting off her cats.  Second of all, I'm 70% convinced that she murdered her husband. I'm telling you, they should've DNA tested that meat grinder!

That's not to say that the other people in this show weren't also terrible. The only people in the show that I was rooting for were the no-legs guy and the no-arm woman (plus the other innocent people who worked for Joe Exotic). Out of all the people who actually owned big cats, my friend and I agreed that the Miami drug lord guy was the most trustworthy. And he dismembered someone with a chainsaw, so that's saying something.

Jeff and Allen should be in prison; they clearly set up Joe. Doc Antle's cult needs to be investigated, like yesterday. It sounds super abusive. Also, I do NOT believe he's a doctor of any kind. Plus, as charming as Joe Exotic is, he's definitely guilty of animal abuse in a big way. Although, I'm not convinced he actually meant to hire someone to kill Carole.

Seriously though, I have to say that, when it came to the actual tigers, I found this show to be very disturbing. Tigers should be in the wild, not being fed expired Wal-Mart hams in a cage in Oklahoma. The abuse of the tigers shown in this docu series was appalling. It's amazing to me that there are no real regulations that prevent private citizens from owning tigers. We have to get a handle on that in this country because what's going on is both horrifying and INSANE.

The fact that there are more captive tigers in the US than there are in the wild is just crazy. The fact that none of the people in this show (all of whom claim to love tigers) care about actual conservation is shameful. Also, that part with the monkeys at the end made me cry.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

The Yik Yak Year in Review

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)

What Happened to Ernest?