True Blood was Actually Good, Count It!

Warning: Spoilers 
True Blood season six promotional poster.jpg
You weren't kidding!

So, I just saw the season finale of True Blood's season 6. SO. MUCH. EMOTION.

I don't even know where to start, so much has happened in this season! Infectious diseases? Wolf pack coups? Secret, government research facilities? Prepubescent fairies trying to buy alcohol? I bet that's something you never thought you'd see on TV. But seriously, that's all good stuff, man.

Let me start by saying that I went into this season with the lowest of expectations. I mean, the show had been on a steady decline since season 4, but season 5 was an all time low. The authority plot was just all highbrow, beating you over the head with symbolism. Like, by the end of the season, I was like "I don't know who these 'authority' people are, I don't know what's going on, I have no idea what just happened, and I couldn't care less". Now, I'm like "I care so much"!

The authority plot brought the show to the brink. At that point, I couldn't have cared less if the show was renewed for season 6, but now, I thank my lucky stars that it was and that they renewed it for season 7. If season 6 had never happened, we would never have had the subtle psychological horror of vamp camp. Oh vamp camp. I loved how it was a round building. Round buildings always sort of freak me out; I always feel like I'll just keep walking in a circle and never get out. Of course, I think that was what they were going for in True Blood. Whatever the intent, vamp camp was a stroke of genius. I wish they had dragged it out a little more; it seems a shame to spend so little time on such a great idea.

I could probably write ten blogs about Sookie's love life, but I'm going to attempt to cram all into one paragraph. I was never a fan of the whole Sookie/Warlow relationship. It just all seemed too fairy tale to be True Blood. Like, fairy prince has been waiting to marry you for thousands of years? Yeah right. I think the signs of his psychosis were there for the beginning. I mean, he killed her parents (although they did deserve it), trapped her parents in an alternate dimension, and resisted all attempts at a healthy, normal relationship. Also, he wasn't that cute, sorry. I do, however, really like the Sookie/Alcide relationship. They're so cute together! Not to mention, they seem to have this really great, healthy sort of domesticity that has been lacking in Sookie's life thus far. I don't think it'll last (because happy endings don't happen on True Blood) but it would be really great if Sookie could have a semi-normal guy in her life. At least with Alcide they can grow old together and have kids. Also, Alcide's hair cut = happiness; although, I'm pretty sure the other hair was a wig.

Speaking of healthy relationships, Jason is not in one. I'm really not sure how I feel about Violet and Jason as a couple, but she seems a little off the deep end as a character. I like Jason a lot better with Jessica. Of course, Jessica is in her own relationship with vampire James, who is apparently in a band? Like, of course, because that was the only natural thing for a gorgeous, sensitive vampire with hippie hair to do. I like Violet and James as much as the next person, but Jessica and Jason are so meant for each other. Also, I didn't like how Violet just came out of nowhere as a character. It was like "who is this chick?". Actually, I didn't even know her name until the last episode. Oops.

The last episode. Let's talk about that. First of all, I thought it was a fitting end to the season, and it wrapped things up nicely. I liked that Bill went back to being normal Bill; I really didn't like him as Bilith and I never bought the idea of a True Blood deity. I mean, that's just not what the show is about. True Blood doesn't do the whole 'fate' thing, the characters make their own destiny and that's what's interesting.

It was kind of interesting to see the vampires in the sun though. I thought the reaction was really appropriate, especially from the older vampires. The scenes outside Bill's house were especially weird and fun. Like, who knew that vampires shopped at Target? It was, however, refreshing to see them in something a little more stylish after the prison blues. Tara's outfit was definitely the cutest. Although, I think the 'Violet is wearing purple' pun was taken a little too far. She looked a bit too 'whoa' while they were playing volleyball. Also, since when do vampires play volleyball? The whole scene was bizarre. Like, how often do you see vampires jitterbugging to 90's music? It's great.

In other, non-vampire related news, Sam is now the mayor Bon-Temp. One, I didn't even know that Bon-Temp had a mayor (like, what was the previous mayor doing when the town was taken over by a maenad). Two, who voted for Sam? He has no records, no social security number, never even graduated from high school, and was investigated in like 5 murders. Seriously, when did he go into politics? He also, apparently, sold Merlotte's, because it is now called Bellefluer's, which is kind of cute. At least now we know what Arlene did with the life insurance money.
 
And, perhaps most importantly, Bill, in true O.J. Simpson fashion, wrote a book about all the murders he committed. How do these people not go to jail? Someone please explain that to me! He killed the governor; Bill can't confess to that on TV and get away with it. Also, I envy his quick writing skills. No one writes and publishes a book in 6 months. Aside from all this, there are now packs of rabid vampires roaming the country side. That has zompocolypse (zombie apocalypse) written all over it. Some people might think it's cheesy, but I love it.



But the most important thing that happened in the finale, of course, was that ERIC DIED! Who wrote that? Who thought that that was a good idea? They can't kill Eric! Like, a solid 50% of True Blood's viewership only watches the show for Eric. If he dies, the show dies, it's as simple as that. Also, that would be a really stupid way for him to die. If Eric is going to die, he deserves a much better death scene, something like Godric's death in season 2. However, I am holding out hope that he is not dead because they didn't show him turn into a pile of goo and because, if they can spend two episodes on Terry's funeral, they can at least give Eric some last words.

If Eric dies, I don't care if there are 500 jitterbugging vampires, I won't watch the show! Okay, that was a lie. I'll watch it, but I won't like it.

Just sayin'

Here are some other good reviews of season six: 
Review 1
Review 2

Comments

  1. I tried to leave a comment but it is too big, it doesn't allow it. Hope you don't mind if I write the comment I intended to leave on a Google Drive document and leave the link at the end of this comment.

    PS. Glad you liked the whole season. :) (I wish I could say the same for myself).

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tTJFvuCfcR_6T7EoISvZ3GdMq8zA-X3LzAUwopFle0M/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was quite a thoughtful, insightful comment. I have to say I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. The season had a lot of flaws, I especially disliked the Sam/werewolves plot. There really was no reason to introduce Nicole. I do like that Alcide has become a better person again, though. But, overall, I think the show is making a comeback. I agree with you that there is no way that Eric is dead, but I don't really see what purpose his almost-death is going to fulfill. The season was a step up from season 5, but it's still not back to it's pre-season 5 greatness.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree completely. Much better than S5 but not as good as S1-S3... Let's hope S7 will be better.

      As for Eric, it was the major cliffhanger of the season finale. They always have one. S2 Bill is kidnapped, S3 Sookie is leaving for fae land, S4 tara is shot, S5 Bill dies and gets incarnated as the original vamp and S6 Eric gets near to the true death with a stupid way... :P Also, the actor (Alex Skarsgard) wants to work on other projects as well. Having his own separate storyline will facilitate him since he will be working with Pam and maybe Willa, not with everyone else. But I will be disappointed if he is separated for the whole S7. Let's hope only for the first half...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I agree, although I would like to see Eric get a chance to have his own story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)