Dye Your Roommate's Hair They Said, Nothing can go Wrong They Said: Tales from the Laundry Room

So, last night, my roommate and I were in CVS and she saw the hair dye section and, out of nowhere, she was like "do you think I should dye my hair black?", to which I responded, "that would look so fetch".

The scary thing is that she said yes.

So, what did I do last night? Did I study for my Iberian Civilizations exam? Did I work on my poetry project? Did I do my English reading? Did I get a hop on my math homework? No. I spent like five hours dying my roommate's hair.

Isn't it only supposed to take like forty minutes? You ask. Well, reader, I'm glad you asked, because this was not a 'normal' hair dying experience. Let me tell you a little story.

So, first things first, when we got back to our dorm, we texted our friend who actually knows something about dying hair. When she came down, the two of us opened the box and put on the gloves and read the instructions and mixed the dye, realized we had no idea what we were doing, and took one look at her hair and were like "this isn't going to work". Because, you know how, in the directions, they try to tell you to part the hair into 1 inch chunks and to make stripes of dye all through it? Well, that doesn't work. Or maybe it does work, it just didn't work for us because:

A) We had no idea what we were doing.

B) My roommate has enough hair for three people and a small Chihuahua.

Anyway, we ended up just squirting the dye (cough, cough ammonia) all over her head and rubbing it into her hair. Smart, right? Well, anyway, we used the whole bottle and nothing caught fire, success, right? Wrong.

We ran out.

Yes, that's right, we used a whole bottle of hair dye and there were still big chunks of blonde all through her hair. Well, of course, we did the only logical thing and went out and bought another box of dye. But, when we came back, we realized that we couldn't put it in without rinsing out the first box, otherwise her hair would end up two different colors (I'm not sure why we were concerned about that because it was already two different colors but, anyway). So, we decided to rinse out the first box. The only problem was that the sinks in the bathrooms in the dorm weren't big enough. So, long story short, we ended up rinsing her hair out in the laundry room sink much to the amusement of several curious onlookers waiting for their socks to dry. It was then that we made a rather concerning discovery.

Almost all the color rinsed out.

She started the night with brownish-blonde hair and, after one box of dye, she had light brown hair. We decided that this called for the heavy artillery. Our friend and I went out and bought two more boxes of dye (a different brand this time because they were out of the brand we had originally used) and proceded to use both of them.

So yeah, if you were looking for me last night at midnight, you would have found me in the laundry room, holding a girl's head in a sink, trying to ring three boxes worth of excess hair dye out of her head. What can I say, some go to parties, some stay home and wash their hair.

So, five hours, thirty dollars on her father's credit card, and three boxes of dye later, she has black hair. It's speckled with little patches of blonde, but hey, that's why we have the extra box.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)