True Blood Hair

Season 1
So, because all of my favorite tv-shows have ended for the year and there's still a few weeks before the new season of Downton Abbey airs, I decided to re-watch season one of True Blood. I forgot how much I liked season one; it's a very neat, self contained story. Anyway, it's made me realize that I hold rather a controversial opinion: I like Eric's hair in the first season.

Because, apparently, I'm writing a series of blogs on fandom hairstyles.

Like, not to say that I don't like his short hair style, but I never saw why no one liked his long hair style. I mean, he's a viking, he's supposed to have long hair. I mean, when was the last time you saw a viking with a buzz cut? And, I thought it really suited him. In the first season, Eric is such a mysterious character; you know next to nothing about him and he only really turns up when something serious and vampire-ish is going to happen. Whenever you see him, he's just like chilling in Bill's bath tub or something, like "I'm the sheriff and I'm going to do whatever I want". Season one, the good old days when Bill was afraid of Eric. Of course, back then, you didn't even really know what a sheriff was, so it made it all the more interesting. So, the hair is a real ally there. It's so long because it's full of secrets.

Everyone said that it was so obvious that it was a wig, but, honestly, I didn't think it looked like a wig at all. Alcide's hair in season six looked like a wig. It was the definition of wig. In the whole history of the show, I think that Alcide and Eric have the biggest hair transformations of all. Alcide's hair gets longer and longer, unfortunately, and Eric's hair get's shorter and shorter. Correct me if I'm wrong; but I feel like his hair was longer in season two and season three then it ever was in seasons five and six. But I didn't know that Eric's hair a wig until like the third season, when someone was like "oh, yeah, his hair in  the third season was a wig; did you not know?". Yeah.

Anyway, the other thing that bothers me about all of this is that, in the books (the Southern Vampire Series, which is what True Blood is based on), they basically imply that vampires can't grow more hair; they're pretty much stuck with the hair they have when they die, which makes Eric's decision to cut his hair seem pretty radical to me. I mean, he's been walking around with that hair for over one thousand years and he suddenly, randomly, decides to cut it?

I don't think so. I mean, what if he hadn't liked the way it turned out? When you're a vampire, you can't afford to have a bad hair day.

Just sayin'

Comments

  1. Hahahaha!

    No, I am with you, his long hair looked realistic, not a wig at all.

    It was matching 100% with his personality. Being whimsical, mysterious, frightening, cocky, possessive, immoral, the long blond hair make you much more intimidating. His "I am an elder fanger and a sheriff and I will do whatever I want" personality was not only apparent when Bill found him in his bathtub as you mention, but from the very first moment we saw him. He kicked a fangbanger to the other side of the room, summoned Sookie and Bill like they were his pets, he was looking at the photos Sookie gave him like he was browsing a restaurant menu with the reply "This one, however... I tasted..." and then he was preying on that innocent and naive S1 Sookie, licking his lips... Disgusting but exactly what I was expecting from a vampire of his age.

    Now, about the hair growing, they changed that as well on the show and I really like this twist. I mean, if you are to live 4ever, your body must facilitate you when it comes to changing your appearance over the centuries. For the record, Eric appeared with medium-long hair at the 9th century, then with extremely long in Nora's flashback (1665), then short in Pam's flashbacks (1905) and back with long hair at 2008. Having them cut was a bummer indeed but he now looks more... humane, they are going to need that on S7 (I suppose).

    But it's not the only one he changed after S1. What about his voice? That ridiculously seducing yet intimidating tone he had back on S1 was the freakiest voice I've ever heard.

    Last but not least, his wardrobe... You have to have a post about it. Man, his clothes are so hilarious most of the times. I would never picture an 11-century-old vamper wearing nothing else but expensive black suits. Then, Eric came and I've seen him wearing t-shirts with X on the back, tracksuits, sandals, tight shirts and even post-sex/feeding boxer/dracula capes. 90% of the moments I couldn't stop laughing when I was watching a new episode is when Eric steps in with some ridiculous (for his vamp age) clothes and then the whole block hears my laughter. It is one of the reasons he is my favorite character of the show, he is such an... uniquely uncommon character. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you should mention the voice because I almost wrote about it in this blog! I wanted to talk about it, but I couldn't see where it would fit into the post.There's such a big difference between S1 Eric and S2 Eric. Actually, when I first saw the show I didn't realize that S2 Eric was the same character from S1 until 1/2 way through S2. Lol.

      His clothes are very interesting too. Actually, I think all the vampires on the show make very interesting fashion choices considering when some of them were turned (although, I do miss Sophie Anne because she was always so well dressed). Maybe I will write a blog about True Blood fashion.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)