Whales Need to Clean their Ears

So, the other day I read this article about how scientists collect ear wax from whales to learn about their lives and what sort of chemicals they were exposed to. Which, of course is very interesting from a scientific perspective, but my first thought was whales have ears? Like, that puts an image in your head: a whale swimming along with big dumbo ears flapping against its head.

I don't know about you, but I find that vaguely terrifying.

I mean, I'm assuming they have internal ears, but it's still a really weird thought. And even if I accept that whales have ears, it still doesn't explain why they have ear wax. Like, I don't even understand why people have to have ear wax. So, I really don't understand why whales have to have ear wax. The only use I can think of for wax is as a candle and whales can't use candles because they live underwater.

And it's not like it's a little bit of ear wax either; this article said that they extracted almost a foot of wax from the skull of this whale. A foot of ear wax. That is a species in desperate need of q-tips. Like, have you seen those commercials for those little ear vacuums? That is what whales need. Like, seriously! I think someone needs to like help the whales out with that. Because, If you have a foot of ear wax in your ear, let's face it, your hearing is going to be impaired. And that's a problem, because then, how are you going to listen to The Beatles. Octopus' Garden? Yellow Submarine? These are classics of the ocean. Classics!

I told my friend about how I thought that whales should clean their ears and how people should help them, and she thought it was like a really strange idea. Her thought was that if God wanted wanted people to help whales clean their ears, it would be in the Bible. I thought about that for a while and then decided that that was the reason that Jonah was swallowed by a whale and not a dolphin. My friend didn't think that a dolphin could swallow a whole person, but my response was that people were a lot shorter in biblical times.

Logic.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)