Disney Princesses from Best to Worst

So, I recently saw a YouTube video that ranked all the Disney Princesses from best to worst, and I got really irritated with it because I thought the YouTuber got a lot of things wrong (although, to be fair, it really is a matter of opinion). So I decided to do my own Disney princess ranking from worst to best, you know, because that's how grown ups spend their time. (I know I said best to worst in the title, but it just sounds weird to say worst to best, so sorry for being one of those tricky people who writes misleading blog titles :P).

Someone Needs an Attitude Adjustment

Tinkerbell - I know that Tinkerbell isn't technically a Disney princess these days, but she was considered one of the original Disney princesses, so I'm going to include her here. I'm going to be honest here, I lover her, but Tinkerbell is an AWFUL person. I mean, she's jealous and spiteful and vain and she get's angry so easily. Not to mention that she totally threw Wendy under the bus, causing everyone to get kidnapped by pirates. Needless to say, she's a little thoughtless. She also has one serious mean streak. You don't want to make Tink your enemy. Not to mention that she speaks in bell sounds, which makes it really difficult to effect any sort of character development or personality, of which she has none.

What a Little Brat

Jasmine - I think Jasmine is my least favorite Disney princess, which is ironic because I like the movie Aladdin a lot. Basically, Jasmine just has a bad attitude. She's like "hmph, I'm a princess", "hmph, no one understands me", "my life is so hard"! And I'm like, just get over yourself, Jasmine, you live in an awesome palace with a pet tiger. Like, things could get a lot worse. I mean, she does redeem herself in the end, but over all, I just feel like she needs to stop being so egotistical. It's like, Cinderella has to clean out fireplaces and Snow White gets abandoned in the woods, why are you the one who's always having temper tantrums? I validate that she has serious issues in her life, but she just needs to realize that no one's going to coddle her and get over it.

Look at her Hair!!!

Snow White - This is a hard place for me to put Snow White because, really, I don't have any problems with her. She's a hard worker and she has a good attitude (unlike snippy Jasmine). She just doesn't have much of a personality. Like, I really like the story of Snow White itself and I love the dwarfs, but Snow White the character is just sort of flat. She's essentially just an object in her own movie. Also, I feel like her haircut is holding her back in so many ways. What sort of hair is that? It's like mushroom head or something. Jasmine's hair, on the other hand, is so beautiful. Figures.

She's Always Sleeping

Aurora - Aurora has the same problem as Snow White, she has zero personality. I mean, I don't really have any reason to dislike her, I just don't really like her. I mean, how can you like her? She's asleep for most of the movie! She does however have one of the best princess songs, Once Upon a Dream, and I appreciate her hair, so she's not a complete failure as a character.

Such a Cute Couple

Ariel - Again, this is tough because I love the movie The Little Mermaid, I just don't like Ariel all that much. First of all, she's really annoying and second of all, she needs to put some clothes on. Come on now, let's keep it classy. But seriously, Ariel is just sort of whiny. I mean "I'm 16, I'm not a child?", what is that? You're totally a child! Besides that, she screws everything up for everyone, including herself, by selling her voice to Ursula. That was a really stupid and slightly selfish thing to do. I think Ariel needs to learn to think about how her decisions impact others. But she has a lot of redeeming characteristics too. She's really curious and open minded, besides, she has excellent taste in men. #PrinceEricForTheWin

#IndependentWoman

Tiana - Full disclaimer, I've only seen The Princess and the Frog once and I really didn't like it. The whole idea of royalty in America really fell flat for me. I mean, Disney tried their best, but the idea of Tiana as a princess just seems really forced. I really struggle with her as a princess and I think this is partially because she really doesn't need to be a princess. She was going to have a restaurant and be an independent woman! Seriously, it's like Disney took all the good characteristics a person could ever have and jammed them into one character! She doesn't need to be a princess! Note to the world: we don't have hereditary royalty in America, stop trying to make royalty in America happen, it's not going to happen.

She's Got Friends that are Mice

Cinderella - Again, Cinderella has a bit of a personality issue. In fact, she's a lot like Snow White with better hair. I guess what really makes Cinderella impressive to me is that she faces her evil stepmother and stepsisters every day and she smiles at them! Think about it, she's been dealing with this every day for years and she still has a good attitude. That takes a lot of inner strength and perseverance. I mean, if you think about it, she's one of the only princesses who has to interact almost constantly with her villains. Besides, it doesn't hurt that she's friends with talking mice. If you know someone who's friends with talking mice, be friends with that person, that person will hook you up.

Foxes Can be Princesses Too

Maid Marian - A lot of people totally ignore Disney's Robin Hood, but I don't because I think it's a great movie. Thus, I'm including Maid Marian on this list. She's definitely a princess! I mean, her uncle is the king! (Although he's a lion and she's a fox, so I'm not sure what's going on in that family). I like Marian because she sticks by Robin through thick and thin. I think that shows real strength of character. She doesn't have a lot of personality, but it must have taken a lot of courage to run off with an outlaw. Besides, in Robin Hood, we finally find out what the fox says.

Mulan's Got it Going On!

Mulan - The only reason Mulan is so low on this list is because she's not a princess. I don't know who decided that Mulan was a princess, but that was a completely nonsensical decision and that person should take a minute to think about their life skills. How is she a princess? She's not even vaguely related to anyone who is vaguely royal! Aside from that, I have no problem with Mulan, she's a great role model and a really strong woman. I thought being royal was a requirement for being a princess, apparently I was wrong.  Like Tiana, Mulan really doesn't need to be a princess; she's doing fine on her own.

Rock that Toga!

Megara - I know that Meg isn't really a princess, but she's definitely more of a princess than Mulan. I mean, she's married to Hercules, if that doesn't make you a princess I don't know what does. I like Meg because she really grows and changes as a character and I find that very admirable. Besides that, she's just sassy and funny and has a great back story. Not to mention that she looks great in a toga.

Awww. So Sweet.

Anna - Anna's a fairly new princess, but I think she's really great. I love that she's so honest and funny and such a real person. I mean, her hair looks bad in the morning. I have never, never seen that in a Disney movie. I appreciate that. Not to mention that she's just a very selfless and loving person and so genuinely sweet. Her only flaw is that she's sort of oblivious and very, very naive. I mean, you have to question the judgement of a person who wants to marry someone she only just met, especially someone with such horrific sideburns.

Books are Cool

Belle - Belle is just a great role model, period. She likes to read, she's interested in intellectual things, she can look past superficial characteristics in people, and she's not afraid to be an outsider. She also takes care of her father, which is really sweet and wonderful. I think Belle is just really down to earth and practical and that's great. However, I have a real problem with her marrying someone who basically kidnapped her. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

So. Much. Hair.

Rapunzel - I love, love, love Rapunzel and I would totally put her higher on this list if I could. She's just so positive and bright and sweet and she has so much HAIR! Like, her hair is pretty much a character of its own in this movie. Aside from that, she's also a character, which is nice. I like that she's an active participant in her own movie. She doesn't just sit around and wait for things to happen. Not to mention, I like that she has hobbies and interests. It's also good to know that she takes some time to get to know her husband before she gets married. Because, you know, generally that's a good idea.
She Can Paint with ALL the Colors of the Wind

Pocahontas - Pocahontas is definitely a great Disney princess. She's such a strong person, such a courageous person. I mean, to paraphrase Dumbledore, it takes courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more courage to stand up for your friends. Aside from that, she's super independent and open minded. She's also very spiritual, which is missing in a lot of Disney movies. All her songs are so beautiful and profound; I especially love "Colors of the Wind". She really puts John Smith in his place with that one. Also, somehow she learned to speak English in 30 seconds. That takes skill.

Don't Mess with this Lioness

Nala - Don't even start to tell me that Nala is not a princess because she is totally a princess. She marries Simba, that makes her a princess, so chill. Nala just has swagger. She does all the hunting, she takes care of cubs, she takes care of Simba; she's just a modern woman trying to have it all. She's just kicking butt and taking names. I would not want to tangle with Nala, mostly because she's a lion, but also because she's one tough princess. (But mostly because she could eat me).

Her Dress is Made of Ice!!!

Elsa - I don't think this is any surprise to anyone who knows how much I love Frozen. Here's a hint: I adore Frozen. I don't even think adore is the right word; I have seen Frozen at least 6 times. I like Elsa because she's the only Disney princess who doesn't even think about a man. She's completely on her own, taking care of herself, and she loves it! Even in the end, it's Elsa, standing on her own two feet. That's really what "Let It Go" is about. It's about accepting yourself and discovering who you are. I have so much respect for her for doing that. Obviously, she has her issues during the movie, but I like that they're internal issues. No one is acting on her, she's not doing physical battle, she's figuring out her life. Aside from that, she wears clothes made out of ice. That's got to count for something.

Just sayin'

Comments

  1. Just to say that the Beast didn't kidnap Belle. He held her as a prisoner yes, but that's because Belle offered to take her father's place to set him free. So if anything, it was Belle's own doing that got her the "Stockholm Syndrome". Also her falling in love with the Beast is what makes it such a wonderful film. It shows to look into the REAL beautiful being which is the heart and soul, not just the looks, which unfornately Ariel fell for. Eric could have been a mass murderer or a kidnapper, thankfully he wasn't. I still love The Little Mermaid though. Just wanted to point that out about Belle ^^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)

What Happened to Ernest?

Apparently, You Can't Spray Paint Furniture: The Story of My Bookshelf