The Joys of Cactus Ownership

I have been the proud owner of a Christmas Cactus for almost a year and a half and let me tell you something, it's very rewarding. As you may or may not know, I have never really had a lot of luck with pets (my hermit crabs once tried to eat each other); although, I haven't completely failed at keeping fish alive.

However, I've been very successful at keeping my cactus alive (I call him Cacti). Because, when you forget to water/feed a cactus for a few days, nothing too bad happens. When fish miss a day of feeding, they start to eat their young. The noble cactus, on the other hand, is a dignified creature that does not stoop to cannibalism.

Breathing pets, I find, are mostly over rated, but it's not all fun and games owning a Christmas Cactus. It's a lot of hard work. To get it to flower, you have to make sure that it gets a long period of uninterrupted darkness. In winter, that means you have to turn off the lights when it starts to get dark outside. So basically, from November on I can't have lights in my living room from 5:00 on, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to be a responsible plant owner.

But the joys of cactus ownership far outweigh the struggles. The cactus is very quiet, polite, and it produces beautiful pink flowers every winter. A cactus will never lick your friends, it doesn't shed, and you don't have to clip it's nails. A lot of people think the cactus has a rather prickly disposition, but the cactus is actually very considerate. A cactus rarely has accidents on your rug. And, of course, a cactus is rarely in violation of a lease. It's a quite unobtrusive house plant.

Not to mention that a cactus will always sit still beside you when you're trying to watch television.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)