Math is a Figment of Your Imagination

Let's be real here, math does not exist. I say this because, quite honestly, numbers do not exist; they're an abstract concept. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of numbers and I certainly understand the purpose of abstract concepts.

But, think about it, two, for example, is just a word that delineates a certain quantity. Now, by that logic, you could argue that words don't exist either. But I disagree with that because words, for the most part, represent concrete things. Take the word "cloud", the word represents a specific noun, a real thing. Numbers aren't like that, you could have two eyes or two lobsters or two serious psychological issues with whales. But, you don't even have to say "two"; you don't inherently have two eyes, you just have eyes.

Just sayin'.

So, logically, if numbers don't exist (and they don't) then math doesn't exist either. So, what is math? A figment of your imagination, duh. So, if you think about it, it's kind of silly to have whole classes devoted to math. If society gives so much credence to one imaginary thing, I think it should start paying more attention to other imaginary things, like unicorns and Narnia.

A unicorn ate my homework; do you think my math teacher would buy that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)