I'm Bookish, What Do You Want From Me?

Okay, here's the thing about college, people go out and drink and party and stay up until one o'clock in the morning and scream and yell and smoke hookahs in front of my dorm, namely, people in my dorm go out and party and drink and make noise and leave chairs randomly in the stairwell until three o'clock in the morning. Just in time for construction to start at six.

Seriously, college, what do you want from me?

 It's not like I really care what they do; it's their lives and their GPAs, but, it's always a bit of a shocker when I hear people discussing black outs, frat-fights, and hook ups. Don't get me wrong, I know this sort of stuff goes on, I haven't been living under a rock. But, what get's me, is that these are the actual lives of real people; I mean, you could put some of the stories I've heard on 90210 and no one would know the difference.

So, that's like 90% of my dorm; then, there's me. The only time I stay up past one is when I'm trying to finish a 900 page library book that's due the next day (cough, Game of Thrones, cough). But really, I cannot break a rule for the life of me. The other day, I took a plastic knife from the dining halls (even though you're not supposed to) and I felt bad about it! I'm that person who rinses bottles before recycling them and help other people fill out their withdrawal slips at the bank.

I can't help it, I am the bookish, overtly literate, only child of two PhDs, who read books about the ancient Romans while other kids were playing soccer. Nothing in my life has prepared me for being surrounded by people who don't watch The History Channel to laugh at their gross, factual inaccuracies. Case and point, the other day I used the word "mores" in one of my English paper and one of the kids in my peer review group circled it, because he thought I'd spelled "more" wrong. It's times like that when I wonder if I am even from this planet. Maybe, one day, I'll check my pocket and find a fob watch and everything will be explained.

I think I'm going to go listen to some classical music now and read a little non-fiction. Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)

What Happened to Ernest?