They Don't Call the Amazing Spiderman Amazing for Nothin'

So, last night I saw the new Amazing Spiderman movie. To be honest, I was kinda contemptuous of the whole idea at first. I mean, I like to think that I don't buy in to the consumerist, mass produced action movie thing - turns out I do. Because let me tell you something, The Amazing Spiderman is called Amazing for a freakin' reason.

But seriously, I'm a sucker for genetic mutants beating on each other and tearing up NYC. The more ludicrous the better. Plus, there's the whole alias thing - I feel real clever when the people in the movie are all like "hi Peter Parker" and I'm all like "that means he's Spiderman". Like a genius.

But actually, it always shocks me that Batman can just cover is eyes with the little badger mask thing and nooooo one has any idea he's Bruce Wayne. Like, I was five when I first started watching the Batman cartoons and even I could figure that out. And Superman? You'd think that eventually someone would notice that when Clark Kent goes into the phone booth, a buff Kryptonian in a cape suddenly pops out. And he doesn't even wear a mask! I guess in some cases, most people are not smarter than a fifth grader.

I guess that's all part of the attraction - mystery wrapped in an enigma and all. But let's be real here, who doesn't like Superheros? My theory of American culture is that we have a national penchant for people in spandex. I think, that's why the Olympics are so popular. Now and then, it's nice to just sit back and watch muscular guys in capes lift trains off of small children and rescue damsels in distress while I sit back and stuff my face with M&Ms. Nothing to make you feel like you've accomplished something than watching other people save the world.

Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trouble with Targaryen Eyebrows

The Yik Yak Year in Review

I Have Issues with Lady and the Tramp

What Happened to Ernest?

What Really Happened to Cedric Digory (The True Origin of the Twilight Series)